Flap Reconstruction in Dayton, OH
It isn’t always possible for women to receive implants after a mastectomy. These ladies can benefit from mounds of tissue or “flaps” being placed on the chest wall instead. Flap reconstruction surgery is offered by the board-certified surgeons here at Miami Valley Plastic Surgeons for women living in Dayton, Centerville, Kettering, Springfield, and other nearby areas in Ohio.
What Is Flap Reconstruction?
Flap reconstruction involves taking a flap of tissue from one area of your body and moving it to your chest area in order to create a mound. There are two basic types of flap techniques:
- A pedicle flap, which involves moving tissue without separating it from its original blood supply.
- Free flap, in which the tissue and its surrounding blood vessels are cut. Those blood vessels are later attached to existing blood vessels in the chest.
There are also several different types of flap surgeries that utilize one of these two techniques;
- Transverse Rectus Abdominis Muscle (TRAM) flap, which is the most common type, and involves taking muscle and skin from the lower abdomen.
- Latissimus Dorsi (LD) flap, a procedure that requires taking skin and fat from the upper back and pulling it underneath the skin to the chest area.
- Deep Inferior Epigastric Artery Perforator (DIEP), which utilizes fat and skin from the lower abdominal area, but does not remove any of the muscle.
- Superficial Inferior Epigastric Artery (SIEA), a surgery that also removes fat and skin from the lower abdominals, in addition to the superficial inferior epigastric artery. This artery is then moved to the chest wall and becomes the main source of blood supply for the reconstructed breast.
Benefits of Flap Reconstruction
Many flap reconstruction procedures remove excess skin from the stomach, resulting in a sort of “tummy tuck.” And since you use your own tissue, there is virtually no chance your body will reject it.
Who Is the Ideal Candidate for a Flap Reconstruction?
Anyone who is considering flap reconstruction should be cleared by their primary care physician first.
What do I Need to do Before Flap Reconstruction?
If you lose a great deal of weight just before flap reconstruction, you may not have ample tissue to create a flap with. As such, you may need to put off dieting until after your procedure.
What Should I Expect on the Day of my Flap Reconstruction?
You will be given general anesthesia, so you will sleep while the surgeon performs his work. After completing the procedure, your incisions will be covered with gauze before placing you in a surgical bra. Next, a member of our staff will transport you to a recovery room. There, you will be monitored for a few hours before being released. More extensive procedures could even require a hospital stay lasting between one and three days.
How Long Does it Take to Perform Flap Reconstruction?
That will depend on the extent of your reconstruction. Some flap surgeries can take as long as four to six hours.
What to Expect After Flap Reconstruction
Drainage tubes may be placed in your chest. If so, you must take care not to get them wet until they are removed during your follow-up appointment. You should also wear your surgical bra as directed. Typically, this involves having it on continuously for a week or two following surgery.
Will I Have Scars After Getting Flap Reconstruction?
We will not be able to determine this until after your consultation, as that is when the actual procedure is finalized.
When Will I See the Results?
It may be difficult to determine what your results are at first. However, once the swelling goes down and you are able to remove your surgical bra, you will notice a tremendous difference in the way your chest looks.
How Long Will the Results of a Flap Reconstruction Last?
Flap reconstruction provides permanent results, both in your breast and in the area where excess tissue was removed.
Additional Procedures to Enhance Your Flap Reconstruction Results
How Much Does Flap Reconstruction Cost in Dayton?
Because you may have different needs than any other patient, we will not be able to discuss the exact cost with you until after your consultation. Cash, personal checks, and credit cards are always accepted for any of the procedures we offer, and many of our patients will also qualify for low-interest financing.
Flap reconstruction provides some of the most natural looking results of any type of breast reconstruction surgery. If you are near Dayton, Centerville, Beavercreek, or Miamisburg in Ohio and would like to know more about flap reconstruction, please schedule a consultation at Miami Valley Plastic Surgeons. Contact us now!